Digital marketing refers to communication and advertising on online channels as well as through social networks, various mobile applications, text messages, chat applications (e.g. Messenger, Whatsapp, Viber, etc.), all types of smart screens (including modern television and outside posters or citylights). It is therefore a much broader concept than online marketing, which refers only to the internet.
We divide digital marketing into the following major categories:
- Search marketing
- Direct digital marketing
- Social media marketing
- Online sales
- Website creation
Google SEO and Google AdWords Advertising
How can you be first on Google with the help of Google SEO optimization?
From the display of content on the first page of Google, it is obvious that you can be the first on Google in different ways or content:
- a link to your web (sub)page,
- a photo on your web (sub)page,
- video on your web (sub)page,
- video on YouTube,
- display on Google maps,
- display on Google my Business.
And at the same time through a paid ad (Google Ad).
It benefits you most if you have your website, (sub)page at the top of Google.
You should also not forget about optimizing photos, videos on YouTube, editing your Google My Business profile and registering on the Google‘s Map.
Especially if you are a beginner, you should take advantage of each of the listed options.
Get the digital index of the book "Digital marketing from A to Z".
YouTube and digital marketing
Me at the Zoo is the title of the first video uploaded to YouTube. It was published a long time ago April 24, 2005. A boy in a red jacket explains that elephants have long snouts. Nothing impressive for a video that has gone down in history forever. Fortunately, new and new videos followed.
Today, about 1.3 billion users watch about 3.25 billion hours of video per month.
YouTube is a video-only platform. The narrow focus brought it great success, therefore
is one of the pillars of your business success from a marketing point of view.
First, a few key concepts need to be clarified:
- 1. YouTube is not a social network.
You don’t connect and talk to anyone on it (maybe just in the comments below the videos).
- 2. YouTube is a search engine.
Just like Google. The only difference is that you search for videos only on YouTube.
- 3. YouTube works on the basis of keywords.
Just like Google. YouTube will find you, what you search for. The keywords you include in the video description arecalled tags.
- 4. YouTube SEO optimization.
In order for people to find your videos, you need to optimize your channel and each video.
- 5. Use analysis tools like Vidlq and Tube Buddy.
- 6. Your goal is to make your video appear among the first hits on YouTube.
- 7. Your goal is to make your video appear among the first hits on Google.
Yes, Google and YouTube are part of the same company, so treat them as inseparable.
- 8. Produce and publish videos regularly and persistently.
- 9. Be natural, be you, which is the only recipe for success.
Digital marketing and Pinterest advertising
Pinterest is the third most used search engine that people use especially when looking for ideas for products or services.
Its users are therefore usually already in the pre-purchase phase and collecting product information, therefore it pays for companies to invest in a presence on Pinterest.
Various studies say that women are the ones who make 80% of purchases. And women actually make up as much as 70% of all Pinterest users.
Pinterest has around 300 million active monthly users, of which about 50% live in the US. Since its establishment (in 2010) until today, a total of more than 4 billion pins were posted. Every day, however, users save 2 million pins associated with shopping searches.
So a lot of potential customers. And another great news for businesses: millennials use Pinterest just as much as Instagram. Amazing fact, isn’t it?
Most Pinterest users are under the age of 40 and as many as 87% say they have already bought a product because ofposts on Pinterest. As many as 93% of users are involved in the Pinterest purchase planning process.
The most popular categories on Pinterest are travel, health and wellness, DIY – “do it yourself ” projects, women’s fashion, beauty, food and drink and motivational quotes.
Basic terms related to Pinterest:
- Content posted on Pinterest is called a pin.
On Facebook, for example, you would say you create a post, on Twitter a tweet. Well, creating content on Pinterest is called a pin.
- When you share a pin, it's a repin.
Some websites have a PinIt button on their photos, which allows visitors to
to save them directly from the website to their board.
Social media marketing
Digital marketing and Facebook advertising
Real Facebook advertising is always done in the Ads Manager.
Promoting Facebook posts is NOT EFFECTIVE. I advise you not to use it either.
Click the button Create in the top blue menu bar to start creating real Facebook ads. From the options provided, select Create Ad.
Let’s take it step by step. Before you make your first Facebook ad, you need to edit (preferably in the order above) the following:
- Create a Business Manager.
- Create or add a Facebook page to Business Manager.
- Create or add an Ad Account to Business Manager.
- Create a Facebook Pixel and event codes within the Ads Account.
- Install Pixel on your website or e-shop.
- Create Custom conversions.
- Create Custom audiences.
- Create Saved audiences.
For strategic reasons, it is also necessary to:
- Create a backup Ads Account and a new, backup Pixel to install on the page.
- Create or additional identical target groups in the new one Ads Account (Custom Audiences).
Then you are ready to do your first campaign on Facebook.
Of course, provided you have already identified your ideal customer, conducted a competition analysis and devised a scenario of how you will encourage people to buy your offer through the sales funnel.
Digital marketing and Instagram advertising
Instagram already surpassed one billion users in 2018. Half of them use Instagram on a daily basis. It’s a network of beautiful photos, short videos, and Stories in which everyone looks prettier and happier than usual. It is most popular in the 18-29 age group, as it is used by two out of three people. Despite their youth, Instagram users are among the higher income people (how else could you afford all these clothes and travel?).
Instagram users are also up to ten times more responsive to brand messages than users of other social networks. Beautiful, aesthetic and refined photos are the foundation on which Instagram has created its popularity. As a result, photos on Instagram have a significantly higher response than those on Facebook. You do not gain fans on Instagram, but followers.
Unlike Facebook, the Instagram search engine works very well.
How does Instagram know which profile or post best matches the search keywords?
Based on #hashtags or keywords that you add to each of your posts and paste a hashtag sign # in front of them. So hashtags or keywords help your profile to be discovered by Facebook users searching for content like yours. In the long run, interesting content, regular and frequent publishing and communication with followers and other influencers are crucial.
Why should you, as a company, win over also the Instagram platform if you’ve already gained a few thousand or even tens of thousands of fans on your Facebook page? Because the organic reach on Facebook is dead (0.1%) and probably your posts are getting just a few likes.
This is not (yet) the case on Instagram, as you currently get about 40 times more response from followers compared toFacebook. The exact number is not so crucial as it will definitely change. It is important that you still catch the train, and build a follower base, and get organic reach, much like you sometimes did on Facebook.
How long will this opportunity last? No one knows, so you better hurry.
Linkedin and digital marketing
LinkedIn is a network that allows you to digitally implement what people in the business world actually do: network, communicate, evaluate and (not) recommend. A personal approach is very important, so a personal LinkedIn profile can help you build authority, visibility and acquisition of new customers, business partners or associates.
Follow these steps to use LinkedIn successfully:
- Choose your potential contacts very carefully and who you will connect with on LinkedIn.
- I suggest that you only connect with existing / potential customers and especially with authorities in related fields.
- You can create up to 30,000 connections, which can be a gold mine of business opportunities.
- Post regularly. Stick to business content from your field and share your knowledge. Focus to the post formats that are most valuable and used by the fewest LinkedIn users: articles on LinkedIn and live videos.
- Analyze keywords and always include hashtags or keywords in all your texts.
- Always tag the person you are replying to for a comment.
- Your goal should be for people from your network to visit your website, where they also leave their email address. To successfully manage LinkedIn, you must first learn basic navigation .
Twitter marketing and digital marketing
Twitter is a network whose main goal is communication, not so much posting photos and videos. Also publishing text is not about one-way messages in the sense of “we’re just informing you about…”. Twitter is a platform for conversation. Success on it means people talk to you and include you in the conversation.
- Twitter is a network of influencers of the, so called, opinion makers , leading political figures, journalists and anyone else who wants their communication to be noticed . Before, people learned important news on television, while today television and other classic media report on tweets and responses to them on Twitter.
- Twitter is a network you can use to build a personal or business brand, and a network where it looks like no one ever sleeps, responds immediately and demands your immediate response.
- Twitter is a network of those short messages where the usual black text is brightened up with various #hashtags and @tags of people, that the writer of the text wants to include in the conversation, in blue.
- Twitter is a network that requires constant user presence and quick responses to any comments in which #hashtags, @ tags of people, who you are responding to and also the people you want to join the conversation, need to be included.
- Twitter is a network where repost is one of the biggest rewards for your work. It means that the content is being noticed.
- Twitter is a network where a small number of characters forces people to tell the gist briefly.
- Twitter is the network where the activity of your followers and not their number is most reflected.
- Twitter is a network where you can’t pretend and you need to know the topic you’re talking about , otherwise you’ll be quickly exposed by other users in retweets and reposts.
- Twitter is not just a digital social network, as posts on it also carry weight in the political, business, sports and social worlds.
Snapchat marketing and digital marketing
Social networks began their march to change the world through young people. Remember the MySpace network or the beginnings of Facebook. The target group were students. Novelty for connecting with young people, viewing photos of peers, correspondence and everything that leads from it were enthusiastically accepted by high school students andsoon even younger than them. Adults, meanwhile, listened to the news of the innovations and shook their heads, thereforesocial networks were so popular among young people. A digital world without parents, that is adapted their wishes.
They carelessly posted their photos, videos and statuses without realizing that this content actually stays online forever. Within a few years, it turned out that the number of adult users of social networks exceeded the number of young people. To the horror of adolescents who find that their posts are seen and commented on by parents and aunts,grandmothers and grandfathers also joined especially Facebook. And what did the young people do?
They escaped, and in the meantime won a lesson on the privacy and visibility of their posts. The answer to the dilemma of the young generation was ingeniously given in 2011 by Snapchat. (A snap could be translated as a photo / video taken quickly.)
A mobile application in which you choose close friends and send them a photo / video to let them know what is happening to you. But within seconds of viewing, the posted content is deleted. Due to its specific operation, Snapchat has remained a network for young people until today. Bigger social networks, including Facebook, tried to buy it, but no deal was reached. Instagram and Facebook introduced Stories – published content disappears after 24 hours. Sounds familiar?
Although Snapchat is still considered one of the smaller social networks today, it is, with a good 210 million daily active users, also interesting for companies. There are two reasons: in the first half of 2019 it got more than 25 million new regular users; 90% of its users are 13-24 years old and is used by as many as 60% of Americans aged 13-38.
Every brand that cares about its future simply needs to communicate with young people as well.
TikTok and digital marketing
TikTok is a mobile app that easily captures fun 15-second videos, enriches them with various effects, filters, music and share with friends.
Using the app itself is simple, intuitive. Depending on the layout of the features, it works as a mix of Snapchat and Instagram, so I won’t specifically list the technical instructions for use. To make your video reach a lot of users, be sure to add a hashtag to your post. Top or the best hashtags include: #tiktok, #foryoupage, #fyp, #foryou, #viral, #love, #funny and #memes.
Fun videos on TikTok are short and mostly speechless. They usually contain only body language, gestures, dancing, creativity and of course the musical background. Due to the absence of speech, the app is an opportunity for anyone looking to build a global follower base.
The app comes from China and has been downloaded 1.6 billion times at the time of writing. It currently records around 500 million monthly active users, who use it for an average of 50 minutes a day.
Crazy, crazier, TikTok!
TikTok is not only an application for creating and sharing entertaining videos, but also expresses the protest of the younger generation, which is limited and controlled by the “political correctness” of the leading media and social networks. With its straightforwardness, display of talent, and scattered teenagers rooms in the background, it thus resists polished, fake posts like on Instagram.
For whom is TikTok a great opportunity during growth?
Especially for all (existing) influencers who want to reach a really young target group effectively (globally). Along with Snapchat, TikTok is an ideal medium for all creative, musically and dance-talented influential people who can also express their childish, mischievous side.
–100 € discount on all e-courses
Dropshipping digital marketing
Dropshipping is a business model that allows you to purchase products from suppliers (or manufacturers) who ship the order directly to your customer.
One of the main advantages of dropshipping is that you can start with a relatively small investment. For ease of understanding, I will describe the key points of the process:
- Find (or create) a product (should be in demand).
- Make an agreement with the provider of this product (e.g., that you can also order just one piece, and the manufacturer will pack and deliver it to the customer).
- Create an online store (usually on a Shopify or WooCommerce CMS).
- Perform marketing activities to get an order.
- Then order this product from a provider.
- The ordered product will then be packaged by the provider and sent to the customer.
- You keep the price difference (between payment received and product cost).
So you never have to buy stock products and get involved in shipping products. But really, you need a reliable provider who can deliver orders quickly. Products must be of good quality and must not fluctuate.
Theoretically, this concept of digital sales is quite straightforward.
Below I will describe the details of the implementation of the plan described, which can be anything but simple.
How do you find the product that is in demand?
There are basically two options for finding a suitable product to sell.
Digital marketing and selling on Amazon
In the article, whose link is bellow, I will outline how to successfully get started on Amazon, which is neither a social networking site nor a classic search engine.
However, I would like to give you the basics, as 42% of all online sales currently occur through Amazon.
The following record also summarizes a conversation with Nejc Volarič, an expert for selling on Amazon.
Amazon is devided into Amazon’s in individual markets:
The (Northern) US market is split into the US (Amazon.COM), Canada (Amazon.CA) and Mexico
(Amazon.COM.MX). Therefore, you access them with a single user account.
For example, if you upload your product to Amazon.COM only, it will only be visible to the US market, not Canada and Mexico. If you want the product to be visible in Canada, you must also repeat the process on Amazon.CA.
The Amazon Europe market is split into United Kingdom (Amazon.CO.UK), Germany, which is the second largest market (Amazon.DE), Italy (Amazon.IT), Spain (Amazon.ES) and France (Amazon.FR).
The Amazon Asia market is split into Japan (Amazon.CO.JP) and India (Amazon.IN). And a relatively new market is the Australian market (Amazon.COM.AU).
The largest market is, of course, the United States, where competition is at its highest. The second largest market is Germany, followed by the United Kingdom in third place and Japan in fourth place.
Account types on Amazon. There are two options:
- Seller Central model (B2C) to use when selling to end customers.
- Vendor Central model (B2B), which you use when you want to sell to businesses.
I invite you to read another one of our articles on the topic of digital advertising. And for step-by-step video tutorials, check out our hands-on e-courses.
Find out more about them at https://www.martin-orange.com/e-courses/